Thursday 9 March 2017

Day 2 of 10 a day

I started the day with one of my breakfast bowls.


This is a great way to get more fruit into your breakfast and you can easily fit in two portions, even three if you're really hungry.

Breakfast Bowl - Serves 1

Ingredients

100g, 3.5oz Low fat, high protein yogurt or similar, e.g. Total 0%, Plain Skyr *
80g, 3oz Blueberries
80g, 3oz Raspberries
20g, 3/4oz Walnuts
A generous tsp runny honey

Method

Put the skyr or yogurt in a bowl and top with the berries, crushed walnuts and a drizzle of honey.


How did the 10 fruit and vegetables go today?

Breakfast

For breakfast I easily fitted in my 2 portions before leaving the house.

Snacks

Today was a work day though and I know I am a terrible nibbler at work so to hit my 10 a day, I knew I had to have an on tap source of fruits and vegetables ready for when the nibbling urge struck.  I put an apple in my bag and had that mid morning.

Lunch

Lunch was warmed up leftovers from yesterday's chorizo and chickpea dish which was another two portions accompanied with 80g of cucumber sticks followed by 80g of grapes.

Then I ate cake.  I was bored with fruits and vegetables rather than hungry but I felt like I needed to retox on the grounds of principle.


Dinner

I wasn't hungry until dinner and cooked a broccoli and cauliflower cheese dish for myself.  It baked in the oven while I fitted in a workout.  This is the same recipe as my cauliflower cheese shown above but rather than 150g of cauliflower, I used 80g cauliflower and 80g of broccoli.  I then had 80g of green beans as a vegetable on the side.

So in total I had:
Breakfast - 2 portions
Snack - 1 portion
Lunch - 4 portions
Dinner - 3 portions
Total - 10 portions - 4 fruits and 6 vegetables

Then 1 ate some chocolate.  I'm not a saint.

I'm starting to realise the key to this is controlling your portions of any one fruit or vegetable so that you're not eating too much of any one thing.  It would have been easy for me to have made cauliflower cheese unknowingly doubling the amount of cauliflower I needed to eat to count as a "portion" so a great idea is to have more variety but less of each type.  For some things, 80g isn't much at all so it's worth weighing.

I hope you will join me in my journey, I will keep you posted by the day on how it's going and put links below so you can read more about my experience:

Day 1 of 10 a day
Day 2 of 10 a day
Day 3 of 10 a day
Day 4 of 10 a day
Day 5 of 10 a day
Day 6 of 10 a day
Day 7 of 10 a day
Day 8 of 10 a day
Day 9 of 10 a day
Day 10 of 10 a day
10 a day, what did I learn?

*Although I mention brand names in this post, I have not been sponsored to do so, they're just brands I like.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love to hear from you, however, any comments added containing links to other sites will be removed.

This blog is my intellectual property. Please don't copy content or photos without permission.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.