Thursday 12 January 2017

Quick Cassoulet

Ok, ok, natives of the South of France will be hollering and calling me names, saying this is "inauthentic".  I know, I know but this was inspired by trying to make something with all the delicious flavours of cassoulet but without slaving away at it for hours.  It is meant to be something possible to make at the end of a work day for 1 or 2 people not the "feeding of the 5000" that a good batch of proper cassoulet can be.

And do you know what?  Part of me is feeling pretty robust about this because it tasted bloody good.  So good in fact that I ate the whole lot (oops) but it does reheat pretty well if you can resist...

I don't suggest the duck or goose fat to be obtuse, it's a nod back to the duck or goose confit you would have in a traditional cassoulet and adds a really lovely flavour.  I also have loads of goose fat in my freezer from Christmas dinner, I mean loads.



Quick Cassoulet - Serves 1 hungry, greedy person or 2 for slightly less hungry people with vegetables (reheats well)

Ingredients

250g, just under half lb Toulouse sausages (really garlicky and herby sausages).  Mine happened to be gluten free which makes this whole meal gluten free if you can also track them down.
250g, just under half lb Tinned haricot beans (drained weight)
200ml, 6.5 fl oz Chicken stock
1/2 Onion, finely chopped
1 large tsp Goose fat (or olive oil if you don't have goose fat)
3 large cloves of Garlic
Bay leaf
Sprig of thyme
Parsley and seasoning to serve

Method

Preheat an oven to 200oC, 400F, Gas Mark 6.

Drain the beans and put into a very shallow baking dish.

Dry fry the sausages in a non stick pan until they have small brown patches but aren't cooked through.  Slice into approx 1 inch lengths and add to the dish.  Deglaze the frying pan with the stock and put into the dish.


Fry the onions for a few minutes in the goose fat until softening, add the chopped garlic for the last minute or so being careful not to burn then tip into the dish.  Nestle in the bay leaf and thyme and bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until the sausages are cooked, some of the beans are browning a little and the stock has reduced quite a bit.


Season and sprinkle with parsley to serve.

I’m linking up with this CassEmma and Becky in this week’s ‘Five Fabulously Frugal things I’ve done this week’ linky.

2 comments:

  1. I love a nice sausage cassoulet - I bet this is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so delicious I polished it off! Planning to make it again at the weekend but this time for my son as well so I won't be tempted to finish it off...

      Delete

Please leave a comment, I love to hear from you, however, any comments added containing links to other sites will be removed.

This blog is my intellectual property. Please don't copy content or photos without permission.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.