Saturday 9 July 2016

Duck with honey and chilli

An odd time to post this considering I've been out in torrential rain this morning for a parkrun but I came up with this delicious recipe a few days ago when the weather was more promising (and I've just seen a glimse of sunshine, all may not be lost!)


I don't cook duck often but with the lovely fatty layer, it's surprising it's not a more obvious barbecue choice.

I chose to serve this with a salad and without a dressing but by all means add a little more soy or a drizzle of sweet chilli sauce if liked.  I thought the duck was flavourful and juicy enough on it's own.

You could serve this as a light or starter sized portion or go for a larger main course.

Is it extravagant to fire up a barbecue for one?  Well maybe but I like barbecues.  If you prefer you could grill (broil) the duck instead.


Barbecued duck with honey and chilli - serves 2 as a starter, 1 as a main

Ingredients

1 large duck breast

For the marinade
2 tbsp soy sauce (or tamari to make gluten free)
1 red chilli, seeded and chopped
1 tbsp honey
1 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped

Salad vegetables to serve, I used cucumber, sugar snap peas and coriander (cilantro)

Method

Score the fat on the duck skin.

Mix the marinade ingredients then coat the duck breast while you get your barbecue started this can marinade for an hour or so.

When the barbecue is ready, hot with no flames, put the duck breast, skin side down onto the grill and grill turning occasionally until cooked to your liking.  (I like my duck cooked about medium.)


When ready (or you've cooked under a grill if you prefer), put on a plate, cover and rest for at least 5 minutes, preferably 10.  This will make it more tender (and is what you should do with all grilled meat ideally.)



Prepare the salad then slice the duck and top with the juicy duck pieces.  Yummy!

Linked up to recipe of the week


Link up your recipe of the week

2 comments:

  1. I've got to say, this is a delicious looking recipe. Going to have to give it shot! I love barbecuing duck, and it's definitely an art lost on some people. I always let mine rest on the plate, too. It makes it so tender and juicy, and adding a tasty marinade that it can sit in before it gets barbecued never hurts at all, either.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love to hear from you, however, any comments added containing links to other sites will be removed.

This blog is my intellectual property. Please don't copy content or photos without permission.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.