Monday 25 April 2016

Buddha Bowl

I was scooting around the internet and came across the concept of a Buddha bowl recently.  Honestly?  I had no idea what it was or why it was meant to be good (being named after a famously overweight individual, it didn't seem great) but this is the basic idea...


You have a base of the bowl, this is normally a healthy grain like quinoa, brown rice, pearl barley or pulses which can be warm or cold but I have to admit I liked the idea of the warm and the cold coming together.  Then you add your ingredients which could be:

Greens
Beans
Raw vegetables
Roasted vegetables
Seeds
Dressing

There you go.  Well the idea of it got my juices flowing, in no way because it's meant to be healthy but because it sounded delicious.

So I've had a go at an different interpretation on this basic idea and I'm sure it's something I will come back to again and again...  In fact this may well become my new lunch option of choice because it just seems joyous.

I have an image in my head of a buddha bar with big steaming bowls of grains, delicious bowls of roasted and raw vegetables and stunning dressings for you to make up your own creation.  If only my work's canteen was like that I'd eat there every day!


Buddha Bowl with Chinese Flavours - Serves 1

Ingredients

50g, 2oz Brown rice, I used brown basmati
Large handful of sugar snap peas
1 carrot
about 2 inches, 5cm cucumber
A few sprigs of coriander (cilantro)
A few slices of chilli
Sesame seeds as a garnish

For the dressing
2 tsp soy sauce (or tamari if you would like to make it gluten free)
1 tsp rice vinegar
1/2 tsp sesame oil

Method

Cook the rice; brown rice does take a long time to cook, so I put the rice on half way through a work out and it was cooked when I was done (don't I sound virtuous!)

Slice up the vegetables, cutting them in different ways I think creates some interest, then mix together the dressing.


Put the rice in a bowl, topping with the vegetables, dressing and sesame seeds and enjoy!  Ok, it's kind of virtuous but it's also kind of lovely especially as post work out food when it's a great idea to eat good quality carbs.

I've linked this to the healthy, happy, green and natural party hop.

Live It Up at the Healthy, Happy, Green and Natural Party Blog Hop #93

7 comments:

  1. I wonder why it's called a Buddha Bowl? It certainly looks delicious! The ideal lunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea... I think maybe it's some kind of hippy reference. I do like the idea of some kind of Buddha Buffet though :-D

      Delete
  2. I am a big fan of Buddha Bowls. That is basically how I love to eat most of the time! I am so delighted that you created this healthy and delicious Buddha Bowl at the Healthy Happy Green Natural Party! I'm Pinning and sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just contemplating what to eat for my tea and saw your comment and thought "Buddha bowl it is!"

      Delete
  3. The most famous buddha Gautama Buddha, was an ascetic monk, eating only the food he was given. The rotund laughing buddha was a different person, Budai. Budai is a symbol of contentment in China. So either think of it as embracing the food you have, or feeling contentment from your meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and sorry if I offended, I only meant it as a reference to "Buddha bowls" on the internet, not a religious thing.

      Delete
    2. No offense, I was just sharing information about a common misunderstanding of the laughing buddha image. 'zall good.

      Delete

Please leave a comment, I love to hear from you, however, any comments added containing links to other sites will be removed.

This blog is my intellectual property. Please don't copy content or photos without permission.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.