Friday 12 December 2014

Prawn Satay

Prawn Satay is something I had in Indonesia many years ago.  I may sound well travelled but I'm talking about some prawns, peanut dip and cheap beer in Bali, not exactly high brow but a good memory of travelling nonetheless.

Prawn Satay



Prawn Satay - Makes 2 skewers plus dip

Ingredients

Dip and marinade (see below)
1 rounded tbsp smooth peanut butter
1 tsp finely chopped lemongrass
1/4 fresh red chilli, finely chopped plus more to serve
1/2 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp lemon juice
2 tsp fish sauce
1 tsp sugar

6 large raw prawns

Chopped unsalted peanuts, to serve

Method

Mix the dip ingredients together and take about a third and put in a bowl.  It's pretty thick so press this onto the prawns as best you can.  You can either choose to thread onto skewers or not.  Pan fry or grill until cooked.  (It will stick a bit with pan frying but the stuck bits are tasty.)

Prawn skewers


While the prawns are cooking, assemble a salad (or cook rice if you would like something more substantial).  Take the remaining dip and heat in a microwave until warmed through and a looser more 'dippable' consistency.

Prawn satay


Serve the prawns with a salad and the dip, sprinkle with chopped unsalted peanuts and some more chilli if liked and enjoy.  This would be great as a canape; if you've not cooked them on skewers, it might be cool to serve them this way or with a small smear of sauce, cucumber and some chopped peanuts on a Chinese spoon.  Dammit, why didn't I think of photographing it that way?  That would have looked cool!

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chloe, I love the fact you've commented on both my blogs from time to time but I've had to delete your comment because it contains a link. I don't want to start making exceptions for people as I've been spammed with viral links in the past. Please feel free to repost without the link.

      Delete
  2. I love prawns and shrimp. This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was literally just saying how my daughter loves to eat anything involving dip... and she loves peanut butter too! might have to try this recipe out on her!
    Thanks for linking up with #WeekendBlogHop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could live on shrimp and cheap beer... sounds good to me. Pinned. Thanks for sharing this with us on Weekend Bites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually so could I Diane. WHY DID I EVER LEAVE????!

      Delete
  5. It was very useful for me. Keep sharing such ideas in the future as well. This was actually what I was looking for, and I am glad to came here! Thanks for sharing the such information with us.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love to hear from you, however, any comments added containing links to other sites will be removed.

This blog is my intellectual property. Please don't copy content or photos without permission.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.