Sunday 7 December 2014

Chowder

Chowder is often made with fish and corn.  I wanted something warming for me and my son when I made this.  It had got to 12:30 and the frost still hadn't melted off the car.  What can satisfy apart from soup in the circumstances?

I would prefer to make chowder from smoked fish but knowing I didn't have any in and knowing bacon chowder is also a 'thing' I decided to go completely off piste and combine the too.  Why not?

Pollock is a great fish to use; not only is it cheap but it's also a source of Omega 3, cod isn't.



Pollock and Bacon Chowder - Serves 2

Ingredients

15g, 1/2 oz Butter
1/2 Onion, finely chopped
75g, 3oz Bacon, preferably smoked
1 Clove garlic
1 Medium sized potato
200ml, 1/3 pint vegetable stock (use low salt if using a stock cube)
300ml, 1/2 pint milk (I used semi skimmed.  Use 1 or 2% if in the US)
100g, 3.5oz Pollock
150g, 5oz Frozen Sweetcorn
2 Sprigs thyme
1 tbsp Parsley, finely chopped

Method

Melt the butter in a pan and gently fry the onion, add in the bacon and garlic, fry until the onion is soft.

Add in the stock and milk and bring to the boil.  In the meantime, peel and finely chop the potato, add to the pan with the chopped thyme.  Simmer for 15 minutes then add the pollock* and cook until it flakes apart and the potatoes are soft.  Flake it and then add the sweetcorn.  Bring to the boil, then serve sprinkled with parsley.


*The pollock could be frozen or fresh, just adjust cooking time accordingly.  You can use floury potatoes for this as I did which thicken the chowder but there's also something lovely about a waxy potato in a chowder.




I've linked this up to the cooking with herbs challenge for July.


Cooking with Herbs Lavender and Lovage

16 comments:

  1. i made this last night and added clams, it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That must be the fastest from posting a recipe to someone making it EVER!

      Delete
  2. Fab combo! Are you looking forward to Christmas? I'm so disorganised this year. Cheers from Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. Not long made my puddings and cake!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for posting to Motivation Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds delicious - Thanks for linking up with this week's parenting pin it party. x x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fab frugal post, thank you for linking to fabulously frugal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a bit of everything and both me and my son LOVED it!

      Delete
  6. Heidi, thanks for bringing this over. This is now on my shortlist for a feature. Cheers from Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this one Heidi - going onto my shortlist for a feature. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  8. How can you make this equally tasty, but without the cured meat? and also - do you have any tips on making the corn 'more digestible' ??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could switch the fish for smoked pollock, cod or haddock and then miss out the bacon to get the smokey flavour without the meat. As for corn, I will message you Jeff rather than talk about digestive habits in public! ;-)

      Delete

Please leave a comment, I love to hear from you, however, any comments added containing links to other sites will be removed.

This blog is my intellectual property. Please don't copy content or photos without permission.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.